Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Oven Baked Tacos

I have seen this recipe all over Pinterest. So, I thought I would give it a try and see if it was as good as people claimed. There are several adaptations of this recipe out there so I just picked one and went with it. I chose this one. But I cut it in half because I knew we would never eat as much as they were making.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground beef (You could do turkey or chicken as well)
1 small onion, diced (I left this out because we don't do onions in our house)
1 4oz can diced green chilies
1 envelope taco seasoning (You can always sub homemade as well. I usually do homemade but I was in a hurry tonight so I just went with the envelope)
1 8oz can of tomato sauce 
1 16oz can of refried beans
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I didn't measure, I just put it on to my liking, which is a lot)
10 hard taco shells (I actually only made 7 but they came in a package of 10)

Steps:

~Preheat oven to 400 degrees

~In a large skillet, brown ground beef and onion. Drain off excess fat. 



~Add chiles, taco seasoning, tomato sauce and beans. Mix well and cook for a few if the mixture seems a little runny. (I simmered it for about 3-5 min)


~Spoon meat mixture into taco shells and place in an 8x8 pan. (I did about 2 heaping spoonfuls for each taco) Sprinkle cheese on the tacos. 


~Place tacos in oven for 10-12 minutes until the cheese in melted. Remove from oven and top with any desired toppings. (I am not a huge topping person so I left mine plain)


The Verdict:

I loved them. I thought they were way better than what you would get from the beloved Taco Bell. Much healthier and much tastier. The hubby thought they were filling. I am going to take that as a good thing.

There were some reviews I read that the tortillas got soggy, but I didn't have that problem. They were a bit softer on the bottom but they were not soggy.

I hope you try the tacos and like them as much as we did! They were super easy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment