Sunday, January 27, 2013

White Chicken Chili

Hello there! Is it cold out there or is it just me? I mean here in NC it went from 77 to 40 so I think I am a bit shell shocked. 

Something that is perfect for cold weather is soup. My husband also told me that he could eat it every night. And generally soup is easy to make so I am happy to oblige.

Tonight's recipe is for White Chicken Chili. This come from How To:Simplify

You will need:

1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
1medium onion, diced
2 cups cooked chicken (You can use a supermarket rotisserie chicken to save on time)
2 cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed (I used White Kidney Beans)
1 can corn, drained
1 can (4 oz) diced green chiles
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1 box (32 oz) chicken broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Juice from 1 lime

Directions:

In a large pot, sauté onion until it starts to be come translucent. (I skipped this step because the hubby doesn't like onions, or more, they don't like him)

Once the onion is done cooking, add shreds of chicken, beans, corn and chills (with the juice from the can). Also add the spices at this time. Stir to combine all ingredients and then add the chicken broth. 

Bring to a boil and simmer for 20-30 minutes to allow the broth to reduce. Add salt and pepper to taste and the lime juice. 

We both thought this was a great chili! It was very good the day after as well. I let the broth reduce a lot so there wasn't a whole lot left for the left overs. That was fine. I just made some rice and topped it with that. 

I hope that if you make this chili you love it. It was a nice change from the tomato based chili that we usually have! 

Do you have any favorite soup recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment